Wednesday, January 6, 2010

New Blog

It's a new year and it's a new blog. I've enjoyed having my Viola blog http://viola-animated.blogspot.com/ so I decided to make a blog for my general art as well. Especially seeing as I seem to be incredibly inspired just at the moment. I just keep drawing and drawing, it's fantastic.

So, here's a picture to start off with, done with white acrylic paint and blue and black ink. Didn't scan too well, so just take my word for it that it looks nice, okay?



I'm reading 'The Whole Woman' by Germaine Greer at the moment, it's interesting. So far I'm a bit over half way through and there are a lot of things that I don't agree with. On the flip side there are a few things that, for me, ring true.

One of those things is this;

"The woman who is never mated must grieve. If she is mated and left, she remains forlorn. The maintenance of the pair bond too often requires the gradual obliteration of her individual self. 'I want to make him happy,' she says, unaware that if he is not happy it has less to do with her than with any of the other factors in his life. If she tries to treat men as men treat women she toughens herself and tarnishes her self-image. If she bears no child, she is disappointed; if she bears a child she is sentenced to long periods of confinement at home with that child and sole responsibility for any problems that child may face. When it grows up she is not entitled to remain in close contact with it and must mourn its loss. If she terminates a pregnancy she must shoulder that grief and struggle on. She may find satisfaction in her life's work, if she is so lucky as to have work worth doing, but she is likely to be left with nothing but that work."

A long chunk of text, yes, but it really speaks to me.

Well, that's all for tonight,

Lex

No comments:

Post a Comment